Ma mere L'Oye (Mother Goose Suite)
Ravel originally wrote Ma mère l'Oye in 1910 as a piano duet for the Godebski children, Mimi and Jean, ages 6 and 7. Ravel dedicated this work to the children. In 1911, he orchestrated the work as a ballet for chamber orchestra, and added several movements.
The piano 4 hands version from which this arrangment is made bears the subtitle "cinq pièces enfantines" (five children's pieces). The five pieces are:
- Pavane de la Belle au bois dormant: Lent (Pavane of Sleeping Beauty)
- Petit Poucet: Très modéré (Little Tom Thumb / Hop-o'-My-Thumb)
- Laideronnette, impératrice des pagodes: Mouvt de marche (Little Ugly Girl, Empress of the Pagodas)
- Les entretiens de la belle et de la bête: Mouvt de valse très modéré (Conversation of Beauty and the Beast)
- Le jardin féerique: Lent et grave (The Fairy Garden)
423.11 / perc - Trumpet in E flat, Piccolo in B flat, Trumpet in B flat, Flugelhorn, 2 Horns, 2 Tenor Trombones, Bass Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba - Percussion (2 parts) is Glockenspiel, Xylophone, Vibraphone, Suspended Cymbal, Triangle, Bass Drum, Gong, & Timpani
Grade 5 - advanced university / professional ensemble
Full score and parts in PDF available for download.